Carbon Monoxide Leak At Second Genesis - Maryland Injury Lawyers Blog
Posted on behalf of Goldberg Finnegan, LLC on Sep 28, 2011 in Negligence
There was a very serious carbon monoxide leak at Second Genesis which is a drug treatment facility located in the Columbia Heights area of Washington, D.C. Over 40 individuals were taken to the hospital. It has been reported that the CO levels in the building were as high as 600 ppm (parts per million). This is a very high level of Carbon Monoxide, and anyone who was in the building should be evaluated by a medical professional. Executives from Second Genesis were interviewed by Fox News and indicated that there were not carbon monoxide detectors in the building. This is outrageous and inexcusable, and will likely lead to exposure for punitive damages. Apparently the leak started in the boiler room and possibly involved the furnace and/or a clogged water heater.
Individuals exposed to carbon monoxide often develop permanent brain damage and other very serious injuries. Those exposed should contact a doctor immediately as oxygen therapy and other medical treatments can reduce the long-term damages to the body. Individuals exposed (second genesis workers and patients) should also contact an attorney to discuss their legal rights. Patients have claims against the facility for medical malpractice and common law negligence. Second Genesis employees also should seek legal counsel because they have viable workman's compensation claims in addition to third party negligence claims. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, agitation, visual changes, fainting and flu like symptoms. Those who were at Second Genesis should make sure that they get a blood test TODAY OR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to determine the level of CO in their blood. Our lawyers are available to discuss potential legal claims for those exposed to carbon monoxide at Second Genesis on Harvard Street in Washington, D.C. We can be reached at 888-213-8140.