Carbon Monoxide Poisoning to Blame in Deaths of Princess Anne Family
Posted on behalf of Goldberg Finnegan, LLC on Apr 09, 2015 in Wrongful Death
There's a mix of shock and disbelief in a small Eastern Shore community as authorities confirm accidental carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for claiming the lives of a father and his seven children.
Inside a home in Princess Anne, about 60 miles southeast of Annapolis, investigators found the father, along with his two sons and five daughters in sleeping positions. Authorities say the children range in age from 6-years-old to the teens.
Authorities also found the culprit: a running generator that had burned through all its fuel in the kitchen. Officials have ruled out foul play and say it appears the family was consumed by carbon monoxide.
According to relatives, the father reportedly purchased the generator to keep the family warm after the electricity was disconnected for nonpayment of bills.
Investigators are looking into that claim and have reportedly subpoenaed the power company to document exactly what steps it took and when.
As the investigation continues, the deaths are prompting utility regulators and police to determine what could have been done to prevent the deaths.
The attorneys at Goldberg Finnegan offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of those killed in this horrific tragedy.
Carbon Monoxide: A Silent Killer
Known as a silent killer, experts warn against using generators indoors because carbon monoxide poisoning cant be seen or smelled. It is especially dangerous in any area where doors and windows are kept closed.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Flu-like symptoms
Free Case Evaluation
At Goldberg Finnegan, our attorneys understand the hardships that a family faces after a wrongful death.
No amount of money can heal the grief of losing someone you love, however, our lawyers believe that individuals, corporations and other negligent parties should be held responsible for their actions.