Three-Year-Old Killed in Fire Caused by Hoverboard
Posted on behalf of Goldberg Finnegan, LLC on Mar 20, 2017 in Consumer Alert
A three-year-old was killed and two others were critically injured on March 13 in a house fire after a hoverboard charging in the home caught fire.
The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) has stated that this is the first death linked to a faulty hoverboard. The agency has investigated more than 60 hoverboard fires since the fall of 2015 when the defective products were first introduced and became a popular item on children’s Christmas lists.
Crackling Hoverboard Sparks Fire
An investigation into the fire, which engulfed a Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, home, revealed that the fire was sparked by a hoverboard that was plugged into the wall recharging on the first floor of the home.
Several family members escaped or were rescued by firefighters from several floors of the three-story home.
The three-year-old was transported to a local hospital where she died from injuries sustained in the fire. Two other girls remained in the hospital with serious injuries.
The family reported hearing a crackling noise coming from the charging hoverboard before seeing it burst into flames.
Soon after hoverboards soared to popularity in 2015, the CPSC began receiving reports of fires.
The agency identified the boards’ rechargeable lithium-ion cell batteries as the source of the fires. The batteries contain a potentially flammable solution that can explode if the battery is defective or damaged.
In July 2016, the CPSC recalled 500,000 hoverboards and warned against using those made by certain manufacturers that had been shown to cut corners when producing the products. The recall included:
- Hover-Way/Model # HWSBB601-R from Digital Gadgets LLC
- Powerboard from Overboard LLC
- Hype Roam from Hype Wireless
- iMoto from Keenford Ltd.
- Airwalk Self Balancing Electric Scooter from PTX Performance Products USA
- Hovertrax from Razor USA LLC
- Swagway X1 from Swagway LLC
- Wheeli, 2Wheelz, Back to the Future, Mobile Tech, Hover Shark, NWS, X Glider and X Rider from Yuka Clothing
If you or someone you love has been injured by a hoverboard or another defective product, the product liability lawyers at Goldberg Finnegan can help you determine your legal options and fight for compensation for your injuries. Contact us today for a free, no obligation consultation.