What to do if exposed to Carbon Monoxide at Second Genesis in D.C.
Posted on behalf of Goldberg Finnegan, LLC on Sep 29, 2011 in Negligence
If you or someone you love was on the premises of the Second Genesis on Harvard Street in Washington, D.C. at any time within 72 hours of the evacuation you should do the following:
- Contact a medical professional and tell them you believe that you were exposed to very high levels of carbon monoxide (aka "CO".) CO is tasteless and odorless so you probably may not even have realized that you were exposed to this toxin. Ask for a blood test to determine the level of CO in your blood.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. The effects of CO Poisoning are often long term and permanent. The lawyers at Goldberg Finnegan, LLC can help. Our phone number is (888) 213-8140. It is important that a legal professional who knows how to properly work up a brain injury case due to toxic exposure evaluates your circumstances and guides you through this process.
- Even if you think you are okay, and did not suffer an injury, you should speak with a lawyer. The effects of carbon monoxide exposure may not be noticeable right away and it is important that your rights are protected.
An example of a legal case relating to carbon monoxide poisoning occurred in Baltimore Maryland. Workers and patrons of a steak house were evacuated due to a carbon monoxide Leak. This case went to trial in Baltimore City and resulted in a very large multi-million dollar verdict for the plaintiffs. It is interesting to note that second genesis issued just a very brief statement acknowledging the toxic leak but stating that the facility is now safe for re-occupancy (I would be weary of this--if the boiler broke once, it could break again.) Rather than acknowledging responsibility for the leak, they seem to be saying it was the result of "recent extreme rain events." I just cannot get over the fact that this facility did not have carbon monoxide detectors. RIDICULOUS!!!
If you were exposed, call us at (888) 213-8140.