Energy Drinks such as Monster Energy, Rockstar, and RedBull can be extremely dangerous to individuals who have any sort of underlying heart condition. If you or someone you love suffered a heart attack after consuming an energy drink, call us at (888) 213-8140 for a free telephone consultation. We believe that energy drink manufacturers may be responsible for injuries and deaths caused by their products because they do not properly warn consumers of the possible dangerous effects, and many companies seem to market directly to children.
There is no doubt that the combination of caffeine, guarana and other herbals supplements in these energy drinks can cause the heart to beat faster. There are documented cases of children having cardiac arrhythmias and/or heart attacks as a result of consuming energy drinks. The Official Journal Of the American Academy of Pediatrics published an article titled “Health Effects of Energy Drinks on Children, Adolescents and Young Adults” in 2011. the article concludes that:
1) Energy Drinks have no therapeutic benefit and consumption of the drinks may put some children at risk for serious adverse health effects;
(2) energy drinks typically have high levels of caffeine, taurine, and guarana, which have stimulant properties and cardiac and hematologic activity, but manufacturers claim that energy drinks are nutritional supplements which shields them from the caffeine limits imposed on sodas and the safety and testing labeling required of pharmaceuticals,
(3) energy drinks contain other ingredients which are understudied and are not regulated,
(4) youth aimed marketing and risk taking adolescent developmental tendencies combine to increase overdose potential (5) high consumption is suggested by self-reported surveys but is under-documented in children and,
(6) interactions between compounds, additive and dose dependent effects, long term consequences, and dangers associated with risky behavior in children remain to be determined. In my opinion, the theories of liability for holding energy drink companies legally responsible for the injuries they cause may include product liability claims, negligence claims, consumer protection violation claims, failing to warn consumers of dangers, and negligent marketing of their product.
Our personal injury lawyers are evaluating claims related to injuries caused by energy drink consumption. Call us at (888) 213-8140 for a free telephone consultation.