The procedure to file a complaint against a doctor or hospital can be difficult to understand. It can certainly be overwhelming if you are not familiar with the process of how medical oversight works in Maryland. Understanding how medical complaints are handled is key being able to navigate the complexities of filing a formal grievance.

How Do You File a Complaint Against a Doctor?

The Maryland Board of Physicians is the official organization that helps regulate the state’s healthcare professionals. In order to file a complaint against a physician in Maryland you must fill out a complaint form that can be found online. The Physicians Board is obligated to investigate all complaints that it receives in order to make a determination as to whether the medical professional in question is properly fulfilling their duties as prescribed under the Maryland Medical Practice Act.

How Do I File a Complaint Against a Hospital ?

The first step in filing a complaint against a hospital is to visit the Maryland Department of Health’s Office of Health Care Quality website and fill out a complaint form. The process for investigating a hospital is very similar to filing a complaint against a healthcare provider. After you have submitted your information the complaint will immediately be sent to the proper section and investigation will begin.

Do I Have to File a Lawsuit Against a Doctor or Hospital Even if a State Investigation Finds Them Guilty of Negligence?

In the case of a doctor, The Board oversees physicians for the state of Maryland does not have the legal authority to order a physician to pay compensation to an individual who believes they have been harmed. In order to do this an individual needs to contact an attorney and proceed with a civil lawsuit against the medical professional. The same holds true regarding hospitals. Even if a hospital has been found to be negligent in their care or treatment of a patient by the  Maryland Department of Health’s Office of Health Care Quality, an individual must still retain an attorney in order to file a lawsuit against the healthcare facility.

If you feel that either a doctor or hospital was negligent in providing adequate and proper quality healthcare to you or a family member you need an experienced attorney to help you understand your legal options. Goldberg Finnegan can assist you in making an informed decision as to how to best proceed with your potential case. Contact us at (301) 589-2999 and schedule a free consultation. We look forward to serving you.