Personal Injury Lawyer Silver Spring, MD

Pain After A Car Accident—What Does it Mean?

Some car accident injuries can have delayed onset symptoms

Delayed pain after a car accident is common and something crash victims need to take seriously. If you are in pain, this can be a warning sign of a serious injury. If you ignore your pain, your injury might only get worse. And in some cases, these injuries can potentially be fatal.

Our attorneys at Goldberg Finnegan understand the serious nature of pain caused by a motor vehicle accident. That’s why we want to help. When you have our legal team on your side, you can focus on getting the medical care you need. Our goal is to build a strong legal case designed to get you the financial compensation you deserve.

Warning signs of an injury after a crash

Certain types of pain are common after a car accident. And in many cases, this pain is a symptom of a serious injury that requires immediate medical care. Common symptoms that may indicate an injury include:

  • Throbbing pain in the head.
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness.
  • Dull aches and pains in the neck.
  • Tingling sensation in the arms or hands.
  • Severe chest pain which makes it hard to breathe.
  • Sharp pain in the knees.

Many times, certain types of pain are caused by certain types of car accident injuries. For example:

  • Neck pain can mean whiplash.
  • Headaches can be a sign of a concussion.
  • Dizziness can indicate a serious head injury.
  • Shoulder pain may be a sign of torn rotator cuff or other shoulder injury.
  • Shooting back pain may be a sign of a herniated disc or spinal cord injury.
  • Hip pain is often associated with a broken hip.
  • Sharp pain and burning can be a sign of a broken bone.
  • Pain in the side may indicate a serious internal injury.
  • Stomach pain can be a warning sign of internal bleeding.
  • Knee pain could be a symptom of a torn ACL, meniscus, or some other type of knee injury.

After a crash, seeking medical attention is essential

You can never be too careful with your health, so you should always see a doctor after being involved in a car accident.

There are many different ways doctors can diagnose your pain and determine what type of car accident injury you sustained. Depending on what type of pain you’re feeling, doctors may run some of the following medical tests:

  • X-Ray, which can be used to diagnose a bone fracture or spinal cord injury.
  • CT scan, a more detailed type of X-ray exam in which X-rays are taken from several different angles to precisely identify the location of the injury.
  • MRI scan, which uses magnetic radio waves to identify internal injuries such as a brain injury (such as a concussion), whiplash or other internal injuries.
  • Physical examination by a doctor, especially if you have muscle pain.
  • Cognitive tests to determine whether you might have a brain injury.

How much is my pain worth?

There’s no set dollar amount when it comes to specific types of pain or injuries. The bottom line is you should be financially compensated for all your expenses due to your car accident. This is because Maryland has an at-fault car insurance system. That means the at-fault party must pay injury victims for all their expenses, including:

  • Cost of all medical care, including emergency medical care, diagnostic tests, and the cost of future medical treatments
  • Physical therapy, especially if you have painful mobility issues.
  • Prescription medications, especially if you suffer from chronic pain after your car crash.
  • Vehicle repairs or the cost of buying a new car if your vehicle is a total loss.
  • Replacement income if you need time off from work due to your painful car accident injury.
  • Lost future income if you cannot work in the future due to chronic pain or other medical issues as a result of your car crash.

Can I sue for pain and suffering after a car accident in Maryland?

In Maryland, crash victims have the right to file a lawsuit seeking damages (legal term for financial compensation) for pain and suffering. However, just because you can legally do so does not always mean you will be able to obtain the compensation you deserve. In many cases, pain and suffering lawsuits can be very complicated from a legal standpoint.

It’s also important to keep in mind that you only have a limited time to take legal action in Maryland. Specifically, you have three (3) years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit for pain and suffering. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations.

But just because you have three years does not mean you should wait that long to take legal action. In most cases, the longer you wait, the harder it is to build a legal case. That’s because the evidence you need can be lost or destroyed over time. And without strong evidence, your case may not succeed.

You have suffered enough. We can help

Your pain is real. You have suffered enough. If another driver caused your car accident, you have rights. And those rights include being fairly compensated for all your accident-related expenses, now and in the future.

Our car accident lawyers at Goldberg Finnegan in Silver Spring, Maryland know what’s at stake. That’s why we want to help. For us, these cases are about helping people in pain who simply want relief. We take these cases personally because many of us and our family members have dealt with similar situations in the past.

Put your trust in a law firm that puts your needs first. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation with a car accident attorney you can trust.

Contact us for a free consultation
Free Case Consultation

    Free ConsultationClick Here